This garlicky golden egg fried rice is another pantry staple recipe with ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen right now! The key to this golden egg fried rice is coating the rice with the egg yolks first -- and then scrambling the egg whites into the fried rice during cooking. It gives you this beautifully rich, eggy fried rice that's irresistible (to look at and eat) 🙂
What gives golden egg fried rice its vibrant color?
Turmeric is the secret ingredient that gives this golden egg fried rice its extra vibrant yellow color! Just a little bit goes a long way.
What other proteins or vegetables can I add to this fried rice?
To keep this recipe simple, quick-cooking proteins like shrimp or Chinese sausage are easy and tasty additions that would work great in this fried rice!
If you don’t have gailan, you can use broccoli stems, peas, or even asparagus.
If you like this golden egg fried rice, you may also like:
If you enjoyed this golden egg fried rice recipe...
I'd be so grateful if you left me a review below!
Be sure to subscribe to the smellylunchbox email list to receive more delicious recipes and cooking tips straight to your inbox. You can also follow me on Instagram, TikTok, and Youtube @smelly.lunchbox to stay up-to-date on my latest posts and recipes. I can't wait to share more with you!
Golden Egg Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice (day old or fresh cooked with 20% less water)
- 4 large eggs
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks scallions sliced, whites and greens separated
- ⅓ cup gailan or broccoli stems sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/16 teaspoon white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric (optional for vibrant yellow color)
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- neutral oil for cooking
- XO sauce
- chili oil
Prepare the ingredients
- Slice the scallions, and separate the white and greens parts. Mince the garlic. Slice the gailan or broccoli stems on a slight bias.4-6 cloves garlic, 2 stalks scallions, ⅓ cup gailan or broccoli stems
- Separate the egg yolks and whites. Add the yolks to the cooked rice, and save the egg whites for later.2 cups cooked rice, 4 large eggs
- Season the rice with the following ingredients and mix well.½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1/16 teaspoon white pepper, ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
Make the fried rice
- Heat up a pan on medium heat. Once warm, add 1-2 tablespoon of neutral oil. Add the minced garlic and scallion whites. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.neutral oil for cooking
- Add the seasoned rice. Stir fry for a few minutes, or until the grains begin to separate (they should start out clumpy from the egg).
- Add the sliced gailan or broccoli and stir fry for another minute. Push the rice to the side, and add the beaten egg whites. I added a touch of salt here just to season the egg whites, but that's optional.⅓ cup gailan or broccoli stems
- Cook them into a scramble, then mix into the rice. Finish with sesame oil and scallion greens. Taste and season additionally if necessary. Optionally, top the rice with XO sauce or chili oil. Enjoy!!½ teaspoon sesame oil, XO sauce, chili oil