This creamy mango sago is my #1 favorite summer dessert! Sweet, ripe mangoes and chewy tapioca pearls combine in a creamy coconut mango sauce to make this refreshing summer dessert that I grew up eating in Hong Kong-style cafes.
And the best part -- it only takes 5 ingredients and less than 30 minutes to make!
Because all mangoes are different, make sure to adjust the sweetened condensed milk or sugar to your taste.
For best results, use your favorite ripe mangoes (I find that the yellow champagne mangoes are much sweeter than these 🥭)!
Check out these other popular smellylunchbox dessert recipes:
If you enjoyed this creamy mango sago recipe...
I'd be so grateful if you left me a review below!
Be sure to subscribe to the smellylunchbox email list to receive more delicious recipes and cooking tips straight to your inbox. You can also follow me on Instagram, TikTok, and Youtube @smelly.lunchbox to stay up-to-date on my latest posts and recipes. I can't wait to share more with you!
Creamy Mango Sago
- 3 ripe champagne (yellow) mangoes
- 3 tablespoon uncooked small tapioca or sago pearls
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk (or sugar to taste)
- ¾ cup evaporated milk (or your choice of milk)
- ¾ cup full fat coconut milk
- Bring a pot of at least 6 cups of water to boil. Add 3 tablespoon of uncooked tapioca pearls and simmer until the pearls are almost fully translucent, or about 15 min. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.3 tablespoon uncooked small tapioca or sago pearls
- While it’s boiling, prepare your mangoes by peeling them and slicing into halves, making sure to slice around the seed. Slice as much mango as you can off the seed. Dice 1 of the 3 mangoes into chunks and set aside (this will be for the topping).3 ripe champagne (yellow) mangoes
- After 15 min, the tapioca pearls should still have a tiny white dot in the middle. Strain the tapioca pearls and rinse in cold water. Let sit in a bowl of water (this prevents them from hardening).
- Put the other 2 sliced mangoes into a blender, and blend with sweetened condensed milk (or sugar) and evaporated milk (or your choice of milk). If you like it sweeter, add more condensed milk. If you want it less creamy and more runny, add more evaporated milk. This mixture should be a little on the sweeter side so that when we mix it with coconut milk, the flavors will balance out.¼ cup sweetened condensed milk, ¾ cup evaporated milk
- Drain the tapioca pearls. Give the can of coconut milk a good shake, then mix with the tapioca pearls.¾ cup full fat coconut milk
- (Optional) Layer into a glass cup or jar by adding in the blended mango first, then top with tapioca + coconut milk mixture. Alternatively, just mix everything together.
- Top with the diced mango cubes, mix, and enjoy! For best results, put it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to enjoy cold 🙂