Stir Fry Sweet Potato Leaves with Garlic
- 1 lb sweet potato leaves
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon sugar
- dash of white pepper
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
Prepare the ingredients
- To prepare the sweet potato leaves, snap off the leaves growing out of the main, thick stem and pull away to remove some of the fibrous outer layer. (Watch the video for a visual guide!) The main thickest stems are often too fibrous to eat, but you can save them for veggie stock.1 lb sweet potato leaves
- To clean the leaves, submerge them in a large bowl of water and swish around gently. If your leaves are on the dirtier side, you can soak them for longer in lightly salted water.
- Roughly mince the garlic and set aside.4-6 cloves of garlic
Stir fry the sweet potato leaves
- To a preheated pan on low-medium heat, add neutral oil. Once the oil is warm, add the minced garlic. Stir fry for 1-2 min or until fragrant and garlic is lightly golden (not brown).1 tablespoon neutral oil
- Add the sweet potato leaves (it will look like a lot to start with, but they’ll wilt) and turn up the heat to medium-high. Regularly rotate the leaves so that they all have a chance to come in contact with the hot pan.
- After about 2 minutes, or when most of the leaves have softened, push the leaves aside in the pan and add the water, oyster sauce, salt, sugar, and white pepper. Mix to dissolve all the seasoning in the water, then stir fry thoroughly for another minute to incorporate the flavor into the leaves.½ tablespoon oyster sauce, ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon sugar, dash of white pepper, ⅓ cup water
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Enjoy!