This Chinese seaweed egg drop soup is easy, nutritious, and comes together in just 10 minutes. My parents always made sure to put soup on the dinner table, and this soup was their go-to whenever they were short on time (which was very often when we were younger)!
What is Chinese seaweed?
How to prepare Chinese seaweed
Preparing Chinese seaweed is very fast and simple! We like to tear it into smaller pieces, then submerge them into a bowl of water. This step quickly rehydrates the seaweed, and also helps remove any sand or grit that may come with the seaweed.
These days, packaged seaweed is more likely to come cleaned already, but my parents continue to prepare it this way just in case.
If you enjoyed this seaweed egg drop soup recipe...
I'd be so grateful if you left me a review below!
Be sure to subscribe to the smellylunchbox email list to receive more delicious recipes and cooking tips straight to your inbox. You can also follow me on Instagram, TikTok, and Youtube @smelly.lunchbox to stay up-to-date on my latest posts and recipes. I can't wait to share more with you!
Seaweed Egg Drop Soup
- 0.1 oz Chinese dried seaweed (6-8 grams)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz tofu cubed (optional)
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- few dashes of white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
Prepare the ingredients
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth and water to a boil. In the meantime, prep the other ingredients.4 cups low sodium chicken broth, 4 cups water
- Tear the dried seaweed into smaller pieces and submerge them in a bowl of warm water. Doing this rehydrates the seaweed and removes any sand or grit. Drain.0.1 oz Chinese dried seaweed
- If adding tofu, slice the block into small cubes.4 oz tofu
- In a bowl or measuring cup (I like using one with a spout for easy pouring later), beat 2 eggs thoroughly. Set aside.2 eggs
Make the soup
- Once the broth has come to a boil, add the cubed tofu and lower the heat until the soup is at a simmer.
- Add the rehydrated seaweed.
- Turn off the heat, then use a ladle to swirl the soup in a clockwise motion. Once it has built momentum, stop swirling and slowly drizzle in the beaten egg. You should see beautiful strands of egg form instantly.
- Add salt, white pepper, sesame oil, scallions, and cilantro. Adjust seasoning to your preferences. Enjoy!1.5 teaspoon salt, few dashes of white pepper, ¼ teaspoon sesame oil, scallions, cilantro